Sunday, June 19, 2005

I Confess

After reading this story, my first thought was: "I'm sure glad that priest wasn't Catholic."

Of course, that's no consolation to the dead nun, whom he crucified in some bizarre form of exorcism. I'm sure it's no consolation to her family and friends, either.

For the record, I've read the guidelines to the Catholic rite of exorcism. Crucifying victims of possession isn't part of the procedure.

My take: the guy might have been a priest, but I suspect he was really a cult leader underneath. I don't mean that the Romanian Orthodox Church is a cult. I mean his monastery either was a cult or becoming a cult under his spiritual leadership.

I won't even start on the visual similarity between the priest and Charles Manson.

My only hope is that the authorities can root this thing out without dumping on the Christian faith itself.